Photo of Hannah Young
Putting a more personal spin on a country celebrating independence from another’s political, religious and economic control (to name a few), I thought I’d share with you a short exercise about one’s independence from his own “controls” and external ones he is not able to control.
How many of us are easily able to say that independent of so-and-so, we will pursue a goal, thrive and be joyful? Today and maybe everyday, think, verbalize and actualize the following. Feel free to make a list of other controlling aspects in your life you’d like to address.
- Uncertainty – I will continue to work towards my goal and know that ultimately, all will work to my favor.
- Annoyance – I will be calm, gentle and loving with my thoughts, words and actions.
- Fear – I know I am blessed, and have the strength to face any challenge.
- Racism – I will smile, for every color, race and lifestyle understands smile to be a universal gesture for friendliness and respect.
- Sickness – I will care for myself knowing I, too, need proper rest, nourishment and silence.
- Infidelity – I will be grateful for the knowledge of it, the experience and the person, and for the wisdom and forgiveness I will soon master.
- Failure – I will re-evaluate the true desires of my heart, and know that in the Universe’s time, all that’s mine will be mine to nurture, to experience and use to serve.
- Sadness – I know at least one person loves me unconditionally, and would do everything to make me smile.
- Pride – I understand what I know and can do, but I still have much to learn about my forte and humility.
- Greed – I will remind myself of my blessings, not deserved, and continue to seek opportunities to share and serve.
Charm Moreto Damon is a mother, a TESOL professional and a freelance editor. She graduated from the University of the Philippines, and pursued graduate studies at the Ohio State University, where she also taught academic writing and research to international students. She is currently a stay-at-home-mom, and keeps herself busy with family, friends, and editorial work. Shewritesforamsdaily.net regularly. She may be contacted at email@example.com.