Take the Opportunity Today: Write a List of Things You’re Good At

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom. – by Aristotle

By Stuart Young

Take the opportunity today to write a list of things you are good at. The longer, the better!

Most of us find it easy to be critical of the things we think we can’t do when in actual fact there’s a ton of stuff that we do day in day out that we’re good at.

Today let’s remember all those things.

Make the list as long as you can.

Put it somewhere you can easily lay your hands on it and the next time you hear yourself (or anyone else) say you can’t do something read that list.

Keep the positive at the front of your mind, the negative you can work on.

Cheers!

!!!!!READERS’  DELIGHT!!!!

Starting today every Monday (only), until May 14th, four lucky commenters will get a free copy of Stuart Young’s book: ‘How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time’ and also a free bonus of his 90 Day Program entitled: ‘Change Your Mindset, Change Your Life’ which will be delivered directly into our lucky commenter’s inbox.

So, go ahead – start commenting! The winners will be announced on May 14th on this series.

Editor’s Note: Stuart Young writes his thoughts on How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time. He aims to provide a “set of 365 practical little guides which WILL change your life if you commit to implementing as many as possible.” He is also completing his book about changing your life one day at a time. You can check his thoughts here.

Comments

1. Thanks this was great timing!! I run a job support group at my church and tomorrow night’s topic is Finding your Strengths – this is a great introduction to what I’m presenting tomorrow. Must have been fate:) I’m going to put this on my blog farsch.wordpress.com

• Stuartart says:

I hope that went well Julie, we need to inspire as many people as possible to recognise the value they can offer to themselves, their friends and families, their community and the wider world. :)

2. sue bock says:

Most of us are quite shocked when we come up with a list that describes in positive ways. We each have so many unique talents that we forget that they are unique to us. Just like our genes, no two of us are exactly alike.

Sue Bock

3. Heather says:

I put this on my 101 in 1001 list! I can’t wait to do it. It truly is a good way to realize your strengths and take courage from those instead of focusing on the weaknesses, which usually aren’t all that bad anyway. (:

4. Sharla says:

Paying the Sunshine Award forward to you since you inspire me and bring sunshine into my life!

(My second blog is http://awakenings2012.blogspot.com/.)

5. Noel B says:

I will! thanks for sharing!

6. sophia says:

aspire.motivae and succeed really inspired me and influences my perception about life. It taught me the value of having a positive outlook in life and the belief that one can succeed as long as you will believe in yourself. :) Keep going. You’re really inspiring! :)

7. What a good exercise! I am practicing gratitude this year and this is a wonderful list for me to ponder and reflect on which gives me so much to be thankful for. I find that being grateful also helps me stay positive. If I am focusing on good things for which I am grateful–I am not focusing on all the negative junk that would rob me of my joy! And people see the difference. People have been telling me how good I make them feel and how good they feel when they are around me. What a wonderful thing to have people feel about me! Positivity happens to be contagious, so it turns out that if you have someone very negative in your life and you remain positive, you will either drive them away or help them improve their attitude. Either way, you win. Thanks and best wishes with your blog. I read and follow you because you feed my soul!

8. AlohaKarina says:

It is hard to write about what we think we’re good at because we are trained not to be full of ourselves…and when we say, I’m good at this, it’s like we are inviting someone to come along and tell us, no you aren’t!

I’m good at photography…I think. And writing…I think.

See what I mean? :)

• Stuartart says:

I do see what you mean, and certain cultures do exactly that – don’t blow your own trumpet – is an English saying. But we can recognise our strengths without bragging about them. It’s all about reframing how we feel about telling ourselves. Let’s think about our strengths as ways of giving back to the world. Thanks for the comment. :)

9. ElizOF says:

Have a blessed week! :-)

10. Simple strategy Stu however extremely effective…well said

11. Harold Millet says:

Thanks Stuart for that very beautiful article! That actually starts your day so perfectly because it keeps reminding you even the most difficult things in the world can be made easier and possible like you gotta keep going!

• Stuartart says:

Thanks Harold, yes we must see our strengths as gifts to share. Rather than thinking ‘Hey, I’m better at this or that than that person,’ think – ‘Hey, I’m pretty good at this or that, I wonder if I could help that person.’

1. [...] Sometimes timing is everything!  Tomorrow night, I’m doing a talk at my job search group on “Finding your Strengths” and today, into my email pops this article by Stuart Young!  http://amsdaily.net/2012/05/07/take-the-opportunity-today-write-a-list-of-things-youre-good-at/   [...]