Take the Opportunity: See the Creativity in What you Do

“Creativity, as has been said, consists largely of rearranging what we know in order to find out what we do not know. Hence, to think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted.”— George Kneller

By Stuart Young

Em and I were talking the other night whilst we walked our dogs about
being creative. We debated what it meant to be creative. I was arguing that
in order to be truly happy one must be creating. Even the simple single
celled organisms live only to re-create. Our deep- est desire is to
re-create by pro-creating. It’s the most natural thing in the system we
know as life. Everything that is alive is trying to re- create.

So, maybe if we find ourselves stuck in a job or in a life that isn’t in
a process of creating we become depressed. After all – this is our purpose.
As living entities we are driven to create. Em’s point was that simply by
tidying her desk she is creating – she’s creating a calm space in which to
work which might then lead on to more creative thought processes. We
debated this point for a while until I concede- ed that she was right. (It
often happens that way!)

So, my point today is we just need to turn our attention to what we are
already doing and find the creativity in it. Whether you’re an accountant
tapping a calculator all day (creating order out of chaos) or if you are a
road digger (creating the opportunity for something to be installed or
fixed) or a dog walker (creating time to think – for yourself and
undoubtedly for the dog owners too), we are all creat- ing in some way,
shape or form.

If you feel you are in a bit of a rut at the moment find your creativity –

it will reconnect you to your purpose, it may even become your
purpose.

Good luck!

!!!!!READERS’  DELIGHT!!!!

Starting today every Monday (only), until May 14th, four lucky commenters will get a free copy of Stuart Young’s book: ‘How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time’ and also a free bonus of his 90 Day Program entitled: ‘Change Your Mindset, Change Your Life’ which will be delivered directly into our lucky commenter’s inbox.

So, go ahead – start commenting! The winners will be announced on May 14th on this series.

Editor’s Note: Stuart Young writes his thoughts on How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time. He aims to provide a “set of 365 practical little guides which WILL change your life if you commit to implementing as many as possible.” He is also completing his book about changing your life one day at a time. You can check his thoughts here.

Comments

1. Gian Ramos says:

Thank you for sharing this! Very inspirational! I agree! Sometimes there are things that we often do because we have to that can be so boring. I think if we think of simple but creative ways to carry out such tasks then we would enjoy doing what we may think are just boring routines. ;)

2. ALEXANDRA says:

Eventhough i don’t work in my area (architecture) I treasure my time in the classroom because i get the opportunity to be creative and I trully feel that CREATIVITY FUELS CREATIVITY so in return i see those fabulous lightbulbs go on over each of my students heads…IT’S THE BEST PAYBACK plus the challenge of everyday getting those young minds to open up and accept your teachings: that takes lots of CREATIVITY

• Stuartart says:

Wow, that must be so rewarding. Every one of us is a conduit for creativity, let’s let it flow. When we stifle it in ourselves we withhold it from all those that we touch. Thanks Alexandra. :)

3. You are right. Creativity is a constant process, from finding new ways to cut grass on a nearly-perfect lawn to vacuuming the carpet for the five-hundredth time. It is in the most monotonous moments that we find the inspiration for our genius, or at least something fun to try next!

Keep up the inspirational posts!

Have a great day,
    Rick

4. I agree–and started my blog to tap back into my creativity. My whole mood, and my life, has improved since I began writing again.

Good post!

5. Pangeline says:

AMS – your blog is truly inspirational. Thank you for liking my blog KickFearNow. At least now I know where to come to get my daily dose of inspiration. Will definitely let my FB folks know you.

6. ElizOF says:

I think about the creative process too and I enjoyed this post. ;-)

“Creativity, as has been said, consists largely of rearranging what we know in order to find out what we do not know.”
    Thanks Stuart by adding that up to your post! I really love it!

1. [...] Your Thinning Hair Might Really MeanWhich way homeManifestoLife Insurance, Facts About RiskyTake the Opportunity: See the Creativity in What you Do ul.legalfooter li{ list-style:none; float:left; padding-right:20px; } .accept{ display:none; [...]

2. [...] Growthfree your mindResources to Stop Anxiety AttacksFood: The Tasteful Way to Happiness and HealthTake the Opportunity: See the Creativity in What you Do ul.legalfooter li{ list-style:none; float:left; padding-right:20px; } .accept{ display:none; [...]