A Working Mom’s Letter to her Child

To my precious one,

Funny how you told me this morning that you are my precious daughter and I asked you why. Your answer was brilliant! You said, “It’s because you love me, Mama!”

Every night, as I kiss you good night I do wish you do not have to say, “I’ll see you when you pick me up tomorrow, Mama!”. I wish I am with you throughout the day and see the things you do while I am away from you.

Every morning as I draw a cross on your forehead, I wish I do not have to do that. I wish I can sleep in late with you and greet you “good morning with a smile!”. I know we do that in the weekends, but I know you feel it is never enough. I know you wish it’s summer all year long, so you can go down the stairs every monring and see my hugs waiting to wrap you up.

You saw me cry today as I picked you up from school, right?
You asked me why and I said, “it is because I don’t want to see you be the last child at the preschool to be picked up.”
Then, you added – “It’s because I am your precious one, right Mama?”
And I said, “Yes!”

I know it is tough in the morning for you and your Dad to do the regular routine, while I am already off to work. I do not know how we are actually doing it – but we are. You have been great. You have been an inspiration, and will always will be. You have been very understanding of Mama’s work schedule; you have been great at it!

Remember what I just said at dinner time? I said, “I will do anything for your sake, because you are my precious one.” And your Daddy seconded it with a kiss.

I really believe that when you wish upon the star and I ask you what you wished for, but won’t tell me – I do believe this is your wish: “I wish my Mama stays home with me all day long! I wish summer is here.”

And this is what I will wish upon the next star: “I wish that your wish will come true!”

I love you precious one!

Love,

Mama

Comments

1. We often find the time to do things for our selves, but at the cost of time with our children, the joy they bring to me fills my me glee, yet I know there are many moments missed that are simply iraplaceable.

Take the time to talk to your kids you never know what you might learn =)

2. Make sure you save this. She’ll really appreciate it when she’s doing the same for her own.

3. Beautiful!

4. mmm…kids, they have no idea how their simple smile lifts us or how deep their disappointments cut us. Great post.

5. This is great, straight from the heart :)

6. So tender, makes me want go wake my little guy up just for a hug:) Thank you so much for sharing.

7. Lovely. Heartfelt. Honest. A true reflection of a mama’s heart.

8. A very touching post…got a tear in my eye. Jay

9. Speechless

Sue Bock
    Http://bestlifeafterbreastcancer.com
    Http://couragetoadventure.com

Http://couragetoadventurecoaching.wordpress.com

10. Awesome!
    You brought tears to my eyes Alpha…

Thanks a lot for writing this post.

11. Savira says:

This was just beautiful and honest. Those moments are special and as time goes by I have learnt much more from my own very kids.

12. stuartart says:

Is there anything more profound than the love we have for our children? You have reminded me how I often felt when my daughter was young. She is grown now but when I see her I still want to squish her in my arms like a baby. :)

13. abtwixt says:

As a regrettably working mother of two young kids, I couldn’t keep the tears from flowing. You have expressed many of the thoughts I hold daily in a beautiful way.

14. SweetP says:

Beautiful! Don’t be so hard on yourself, your daughter knows how much she means to you, she always will know this :) It’s funny cause now I am at the stage where I am home all the time (well when not travelling) and my kids think it’s kinda weird that their mom doesn’t work. But they do like that I’m around whenever they need a ride! :)

15. bmillergirl1 says:

Beautiful letter to your precious one. May I offer you a moment of solace as I reflect on my own regrets of leaving my children to go to work. Now that they are grown what I find is they don’t remember the mornings the same way I do. They don’t know the contrast of what they had vs. what I had vs what I wanted to give them. And thankfully, they don’t feel the sadness we feel for having to leave them. They remember the silly things that became their childhood – chocolate chip pancakes, the Halloween costumes, the Christmas scavenger hunt for their gift, the spur of the moment sleepovers, the song I sang to them, they way they could make me laugh. They remember what they had, and not what they did not have. Let that ease your mother’s heart. Your precious one is building lovely memories with you and with her dad. What could be wrong with that! Be blessed!

16. The simple things in life are the best treasure, but sadly many do not take the time to smell the roses in life!

17. I have written something similiar for my 5 year old grandson, folded it, and put it away in my journal.

Be encocouraged!

18. Beautiful post, I enjoyed it a lot!

19. I have several letters to my daughter too…I guess I have to post them. I love the LOA and doing vision boards, and your letter inspired me todayl

20. Guila says:

This is beautiful and so much love is communicated – from mother to child and from child to mother.

21. Edmund Amoye says:

Thanks for liking my post. I enjoyed reading yours as well. Comments are always welcome.

22. This is so true. I feel like this so often when I have to leave my husband and daughter to go to work. It’s heartbreaking to hear her cry and call for me as I shut the door.

So beautiful, and very appreciated.

23. Wendy says:

This is such a lovely post,

24. This found me with a tear in my eye. Your daughter knows that she is loved and cherished by you. That is the most important thing that you can give her and you do it well.