Enthusiasm: Light a Fire

By Kenton Sefcik

As a Registered Acupuncturist and Chinese Medicine Practitioner, I see and treat a lot of depression.

I truly enjoy treating anxiety and depression because, with the help of a few needles, I have a couple of go-to tools that I pass on to my patients.

One of my favourite quotes that help me explain depression to my patients is:

“Depression is anger without enthusiasm.”

What this means to me, is that deep inside a person, there is anger – but the key lies in what we do with it.  What is anger?  What is rage?  What is frustration, fear, jealousy and hate?  I call it Pure Energy – or rather Pure Potential.

Imagine if that Pure Potential could be harnessed.  What if it could be channeled into our passions and our dreams?  What would that look like?

We could smash fear, open our creativity and use it as fuel to propel us closer to a life that we envision.

So go ahead.  Don’t be afraid.  Use that Pure Potential that is buried deep inside you – perhaps that you purposefully stuffed way down there yourself.  Use it to light a fire.

“Pain is a fire, that incinerates Karma, and fuels evolutionary change.” – Lonny S.  Jarrett

Editor’s Note: Kenton Sefcik is a father, husband, Registered Acupuncturist, published author and martial artist. You can read more of his ramblings at AMSDaily and at Dark Wing Chun.

Comments

1. tinaliu90 says:

One of my biggest character flaw is lack of focus, every other day I have a new idea, I think the ideas are all good, but it is terrible because I never seem to actually finish anything! How do you stay focused?

• ctkwingchun says:

You’re ‘lack of focus’ might not be a bad thing. You might be (what Barbara Sher coined) a Scanner. She wrote one of my favourite books, “I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was.” She also wrote, “Refuse To Choose” which I think would help you. Don’t look at your ability to create new ideas as a character flaw. Instead realize this is an asset of yours – some people would be quite envious that you are like an idea factory. I highly suggest that you start a journal and write down every idea that comes to you. See if you can draw parallels between it all.

2. What amazing philosophy and so positive. Thank you, I’ll try to remember and pass it on. Kirsten :-)

3. Christine R. says:

Such a great way to think!

4. StillValerie says:

Thanks for that reminder Kenton.

Reading it brought to mind a quote from Marianne Williamson’s book, “A Return To Love’, which reads in part “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.” You and your readers might like this post, which expands on Marianne’s quote. (http://thestillspot.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/are-you-afraid-to-be-your-brilliant-you/)

Cheers to everyone using their Pure Potential to be their brilliant selves!

• ctkwingchun says:

This is one of my favourite quotes (which often gets attached to Nelson Mandela for some reason – probably because he was pretty awesome, too)!

5. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to in finding things to enhance my website!I guess its ok to use a few of your concepts!!

6. living4bliss says:

I like it. If we take that energy and refocus it on positive, we have created another backup generator for success. Sort of a hybrid car in which to run our dreams.

7. A wonderful insightful message!

8. I agree. Positive expectations make all the difference!

9. karenbemmes says:

Lovely perspective. I truly enjoyed reading this post.

10. Reblogged this on Mindful Lifestyle – Devoted to Healing & Being and commented:
    Our bodies, minds, and spirits are connected, no matter how much we in the West want to ignore that fact. Here is a good post about depression and anxiety, which I am sure exacerbate all of our dis-ease…
    May we find comfort, balance, and ways to use what ails us to creating healing for ourselves and our world.
    Namaste

11. Reblogged this on little box of books.

12. Marianne says:

Very inspiring, thank you!

13. Food Forays says:

I’ve never seen such a great description for depression! I have a pretty severe case of it, and I’ve been working on creative goals that were seemingly out of reach, and merely “dreams”. It’s helping to bring back excitement to my life, and dare I say hope? These words will definitely go in my file I keep close by for inspiration. When I’m feeling that I’m starting to lose sight of what I’m working towards, it will be out and in my hands to “kick my pants”!

I must thank Liz Blackmore for reblogging this, otherwise I would not have seen it!
    Tami

14. Raani York says:

Thank you very much Liz for this blog. I do actually have a question. (This is no laughing matter – It really is a serious question, ok?) I do have experience with depression and unfortunately it always takes me to the “last minute” before I’m even able to channel, focus and “kick myself” to get out of it. To me it’s always the “I know that I should, and I would if I could, but I can’t”-thing. If I only were able to channel and focus to light that fire – but me being in a depression is a huge desaster full of being unable to get a grip – and afterwards needing a recovery time.

My question now: What if someone (it doesn’t have to be me) identifies this anger buried deep within the depression channels and focusses it – and let’s it burst out – completely into a wrong direction? I would actually be scared to let this happen, scared for me to run Amok… – I love your idea – but how would I be able to concentrate on the “kind of channelling”?
    I’m very sorry this sounds like critizism – it isn’t. I would only like to be able to remember this blog – next time – and maybe come back and try without lighting a fire at a “wrong end”.

Thank you for reading this.

• ctkwingchun says:

What are you passions? What do you really like to do? Remember your passions, dreams and goals when channelling a ‘volatile-type’ energy so that it goes in the right direction. Also, what happens when we hit rock-bottom? There’s no place to go but up. Usually, after wallowing in the depths of rock-bottom, there will be that ‘sick and tired of being sick and tired’ voice that breaks through. That’s the time to get moving. Depression can be quite cyclical – happening over and over throughout the course of a person’s life. The key, I believe, is to recognize these feelings and over a lifetime, we will be able to identify faster and possibly have shorter bouts. ‘Know thyself.’

15. jolynproject says:

“So go ahead. Don’t be afraid. Use that Pure Potential that is buried deep inside you – perhaps that you purposefully stuffed way down there yourself. Use it to light a fire.” Love this. Thank you so much. Needed to read this. :)

16. klrs09 says:

An amazing video — never thought of depression in those terms before. This man sounds like he is doing an immense amount of good, in a real, down-to-earth manner. The opening photo is stunning. Thank you for a wonderful post.

• ctkwingchun says:

Geoff Thompson’s personal story is amazing. His autobiographical book Watch My Back was made into a movie called Clubbed.

17. Michelle says:

I love your blog and wanted to be able to share it with others. It inspires me a lot so, I have nominated you for the “Sunshine Award” Please follow the link to your nomination by clicking this: http://atouchofhedviine.com/2012/03/30/sunshine-award

18. ctkwingchun says:

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. See you next month!

19. Clairese says:

Thank you for dropping by my blog and liking some of my inspirational poems, I really admire the work that you are doing on here, please keep it up, it makes me smile and uplifts my spirits. Clarabelle

20. This makes so much sense and I’ve known this to be true. It’s just that I seem to forget and forget to teach it to my kids. I will be sharing this with my son who was in Iraq. Thanks again. Cheryl

21. Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a
    acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea