You Get What You Ask For

Photo of Randy Legaspi

I bargained with life for a penny

and life would pay no more,

however, I begged at evening

when I counted my scanty store;

For life is a just employer

he gives you what you ask

but, once you have set the wages

why, you must bear the task;

I worked for a menial’s hire

only to learn dismayed

that any wage I had asked of life,

life would have willingly paid.

What are YOU asking of life?

Are you asking for a life like everyone else or are you asking for a life that YOU want?

Think about it…

Editor’s Note: This poem was originally published on August 17, 2010 by a blogger. Apologies and thanks to the author, whose name is not publicly disclosed. Thank you!

The winner of our Tuesdays with Ronald Contest is:  Leslie Brennan of Chesapeake, VA! Congratulations!

Comments

1. Beautiful. :)

2. seakist says:

Yep! I asked and received all I ever dreamed of. I wanted to be a writer, I became one. I wanted the best husband in the world, I got him. I’ve had health success stories that seemed hopeless to the outside world!

I’m so happy and life is a great big playground!

3. Great truths in this poem. Thanks for publishing it. Jay

4. Lovely. And so true.

5. For Millenia, there has been a belief that envisioning your future draws that vision to you and makes it reality. So, if you envision wealth beyond imagination, that’s what shows up for you. Alternatively, if you envision a future of pain and hardship – - and that’s all you can see for yourself – that’s what you get.

This is partly simple human willpower combined with a form of subconscious goal attainmnet at work. But I also believe there is an external force at work as well. Something that delivers the tools we need to attain our visions – as we need need them. I’ve seen it at work in my dad’s life. I’ve seen it at work in mine. It can be immensely powerful.

Anyway. Be proative. Set goals. Then make a list of tiny steps it will take to reach those goals. Apply a timeline to each tiny step and schedule each step on a calendar — and map a course out into the future. Then work on each tiny step as they come due. Hold yourself accountable. Reschedule if you miss a deadlilne. But keep at it. And before you know it, you’re crossing life-long dreams off your “Bucket list” and adding them to your “Been there, Done that” list.

6. Great poem!

7. Lula says:

This is the absolute truth!

8. Reblogged this on MyDestiny2011 and commented:

9. It is really amazing what happens when the things you put out there, possibly years previously, start to come together with the newer adgendas. I cannot believe how the ducks are lining up, recently, at times. Thanks for posting!

10. Sara says:

Hey,
    I have nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award.. :)

• AMSDaily says:

Sara, thank you very much for your nomination! I know AMSDaily received a lot of these nominations and on behalf of our writers and contributors, we are honored for these awards!

11. eof737 says:

True… we do get what we ask for. ;-)

12. nicolle9 says:

This poem is so full of truth.

13. Subhan Zein says:

This poem is amazing! I ask for accomplishing my dream to become an international writer within the next 10 years. Do you think I’d be able to accomplish it?

Thank you for replying! And have a great day! :-)

Subhan Zein

• AMSDaily says:

Subhan, good luck with your goal. As mentioned by EpicHub, it is doable as long as you are specific and working towards achieving one goal at a time.

14. I believe you can do anything if you work hard enough at it. You’ll need to break your dream of being an international writer down into small steps – working backwards from your goal. So it might look like this:

1. Be an international writer by being published in multiple countries.
    2. Be a National Writer by being published in my country
    3. Submit an article / book / screenplay to a targeted publisher that operates both Nationally and Internationally
    4. Write an article / book / screenplay for a targeted publisher
    5. Research and select a publisher that produces work along a topic that I’ve selected as having both national and international appeal
    6. Research topics that have great national and international appeal

You would then make each of these items a goal. Assign a time frame to complete each goal so it looks like this:

1. (1 Year) Be an international writer by being published in multiple countries.
    2. (6 Months) Be a National Writer by being published in my country
    3. (6 Months) Submit an article / book / screenplay to a targeted publisher that operates both Nationally and Internationally
    4. (2 Years) Write an article / book / screenplay for a targeted publisher
    5. (1 Month) Research and select a publisher that produces work along a topic that I’ve selected as having both national and international appeal
    6. (1 Month) Research topics that have great national and international appeal

Reassign the numbers so your starting step is number one — so it looks like this:

1. (1 Month) Research topics that have great national and international appeal
    2. (1 Month) Research and select a publisher that produces work along a topic that I’ve selected as having both national and international appeal
    3. (2 Years) Write an article / book / screenplay for a targeted publisher
    4. (6 Months) Submit an article / book / screenplay to a targeted publisher that operates both Nationally and Internationally
    5. (6 Months) Be a National Writer by being published in my country
    6. (1 Year) Be an international writer by being published in multiple countries.

Now place all goals on a calendar so it looks like this:

1. (Due by April 30th, 2012)
    Research topics that have great national and international appeal

2. (Due by May 30th, 2012)

3. (Due by May 30th, 2014)
    Write an article / book / screenplay for a targeted publisher

4. (Due by November, 2014)

5. (Due by May 30th, 2015)
    Be a National Writer by being published in my country

6. (Due by May 30th, 2016)
    Be an international writer by being published in multiple countries.

Get to work on item 1. Try to stick to your schedule. Hold yourself accountable. Try hard to attain that small goal. Don’t worry about the rest of the plan. If you fail to meet the deadline, then reassign that small goal. If you find you need to add new goals, then add them, and reschedule all future goals.

At EpicHub – we care about you as a person.
    EpicHub.wordpress.com

15. Jan Deelstra says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    YES! Why settle for lack when we can have luck?