Take the Opportunity: Daydream

By Stuart Young

Take the opportunity today to
just daydream a little.
You’ll be glad you did. :)

Some people call it meditation, some call it being still, I call it
daydreaming. When you take the time to do nothing your mind can
wander. It can happen while you’re doing something mundane, that
doesn’t need your full attention – washing the car for instance. It
can happen while you walk in the woods or the park, as one foot falls
in front of the other you find your mind drifting to past events or
future dreams.

This is a creative process. One of my goals for the coming year is to
spend 15 minutes a day just daydreaming. The idea for this book came
from sitting in my kitchen with a cup of tea and one of our dogs at my
feet. My other half was out walking our other dog, there was no radio
or TV on – it was silent and my mind just drifted.

Try it, it might not bring any fruit the first time but that doesn’t
matter. The very process of daydreaming is reward enough.

Happy dreaming! :)

Editor’s Note: Stuart Young writes his thoughts on How To Change Your Life One Day At A Time. He aims to provide a “set of 365 practical little guides which WILL change your life if you commit to implementing as many as possible.” He is also completing his book about changing your life one day at a time. You can check his thoughts here.

Comments

1. Nice post, I will make sure I make more time for day dreaming

Thanks

2. CultFit says:

Best part of the day is daydreaming!

3. As a Computer game designer, I often find my self dreaming in a trance like state, traveling through the levels I create in my mind, without the insight of wonder where would creativity walk.

4. Sweet dreams! it can be so refreshing! (Better than that can of soda.) :-)

5. We all need moments like this.

6. enlightone says:

Daydreaming is great. Keeps your imagination and creativity active :)

7. Hi Stuart,
    It works for me…..am a regular ‘daydreamer’. Thankyou.

8. Reblogged this on MyDestiny2011 and commented:
    Thank you so much!

9. Thanks for the daily morning lift!

10. handstitch says:

Well said. People like Steve Jobs are/were everyday dreamers. I am a dreamer. Gotta catch me some dreams today :D

11. Yes, I will try to do that! :)

12. You’re right, daydreaming is an opportunity -for relaxation, creation, rejuvenation . I like being in that zone.

13. ALEXANDRA says:

Oh, that scene you described, you+silence+your pet= daydreaming, totally, for me, it’s a bit strange but touching water or maybe the sound of water triggers a deep daydreaming state and strangely enough I can do all the dishes with out even noticing them or as I take a bath, the flow of cold water is what brings me back to reality, I have no idea how many posts I’ve written, how many tough (imaginary) conversations I’ve had with my husband, how many of my daily turmoils I’ve resolved while daydreaming…I love and NEED my time to daydream, thanks Stu!!

• Stuartart says:

Yes Alexandra, the white noise of running water affects most of us the same way. It’s like leaving a radio on in a child’s room as they drift off to sleep – if you undertune it so there is just the soft crackle, it becomes soothing. It actually creates an Alpha state in our brains. Many people have running water fountains in their gardens for the same soothing reason. Happy daydreaming. :)