10 Things Somebody Should Have Told Me About College

By Alpha

1. College is not just for getting A’s it is also for making friends. It is great to get good grades but do not limit your experience with books or virtual friends. Get out of your dorm and meet real, good friends whom you can lean on during final exams and during tough times.

2. You retain more lessons from experiences and not from the books you read. So, get out and socialize more! It is the best teacher in the block. Get out and be involved in numerous internships, summer jobs and hands-ons work.

3. Becoming a boss does not happen right away even if you are the valedictorian of your class. Don’t think just because you were the best in your class that you will be the CEO of a company in your first year of joining XYZ firm, NO!  Be prepared about the thought of starting from the lowest rung of the ladder and be willing to get paid $6 an hour for the first few months.

4. Knowing what to say in an interview and writing your resume is a mandatory skill. If there is at least one skill you must learn, it is how to sell yourself and be great at it!

5. Questioning your teacher all the time is totally acceptable. It is okay to ask questions to your professors. It is all right to make them think! Questioning helps your confidence and helps you think deeper. It also gives you the edge of not backing down when you are right at certain junctures. It will help you face authorities with confidence.

6. Learning a second language does not stop after you have completed that requirement. You have to continue learning and practicing it. You never know when you will go to France or to Mexico for leisure or for business and you will be thankful you did it.

7. Being brilliant is not just landing a “real” salaried job. You can explore different avenues to get paid and live well. In this generation you know that being in the office and in ties does not commensurate your brilliant or the value of your talent.

8. It’s okay to have a boyfriend/girlfriend as long as you can balance both your studies and your romantic affiliations. Again, it is all about learning , balancing and being responsible in your own actions.

9. Learn the skill of budgeting your finances well. You will be very glad if you’d turn down credit card offers. You’d thank me if you would take ten minutes of your time every month to learn how to balance your checkbook or your bank account. If you do not know how to fill out a deposit or a savings slip, learn them now. You will be doing a lot of them after college – and if you are on a student loan, do learn how to minimize extra expenses. Take only what you need, i.e. just the tuition fee. Budgeting is crucial; but knowing how your money is being spent will make

10. College is not the end of your education. It is just the beginning. There may be no more exams or terror professors after graduation but in the real word there are always trials you have to surpass and “terror” people you may encounter…but as long as you know how to manage them, you will be fine.

Comments

1. Emily He says:

True. That. Great/accurate list.

2. I really appreciate number 10. What an important piece of wisdom to understand and remember.

3. Daniel Undem says:

Great Post. I wish I would have read it when I was in college.

4. A very wise professor told me the purpose of college was to learn how to learn not what to know. No one cares how you placed in your graduatng class unless you are a lifelong academic. The rest of us use the process learned, not just the
    facts.

• AMSDaily says:

Barbara, your professor is indeed correct! You can see from my post that having been the class valedictorian for the most prestigious university in the Philippines (of course being a true Isko in that very sense) does not really guarantee anything in the al world, unless you apply what you learn into your own self. Thank you!

5. stuartart says:

All so true – especially #10. learning should be a lifelong experience. Obviously, if it’s all you can remember doing for the last 15 years then by all means take a break. One other I’d add – realise that your college friends may be with you for life, take good care of them. :)

6. drtyra says:

What a great post! I especially liked the “Questioning Your Professor” one. I _beg_ my students to ask questions, knowing they will learn much more that way than just listening. But so few do. Your post, incidentally, is the flip side of my “10 Things I Wish College Students Knew (While Still in College).” http://drtyra.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/things-i-wish-college-students-knew-while-still-in-college/ I enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work!

7. ElinaYZ says:

I like it.
    I always think of this question how to banlance our study, time, career, dream, personal value.
    It is quite useful to me:)

8. Reblogged this on MyDestiny2011 and commented:
    Another great article for my brothers & sister outhere.. Thank you AMS.

9. Valerie says:

I definitely agree with this! Great post.

10. aawwa says:

Great post and a lot of wisdom there :-)

Lorraine

11. Love this.

12. eof737 says:

Well said and it remains true to other areas of life too. ;-)

13. Paul says:

Good post. If only we could,live life in reverse! knowing everything before we being, there again we dont end with knowing it all either…

• AMSDaily says:

Paul, you are right! Again, if I had known these while in college or at least somebody would have mentioned to me, I would have probably more wisdom/knowledge more. Thank you!

brilliant post!

15. Usisera says:

I think 90% of what we learn in college is not applicable in real life.

16. Great list, especially the budgeting and finances point. Credit cards do not mean free money and loans have to be repaid. I hope many college students see this and are helped!

17. These are true, lessons don’t stop at the 4 corners of the classroom. Being someone who likes to be financially literate, I think financial education should be taught in school’s too. It’s one essential practical skill that every person must learn. Unfortunately, it’s one of the least focused (if none at all) in schools.