Wednesdays with Buena: Emptiness

By Buenaflor Laoang

Ooops! Our last Wednesday this February! Oh- so short are the days!

But in our Feb “LOVE” mantra, we can lengthen each day of our life when we choose to fill it with love.

I hope you didn’t miss on our previous posts as we spell outlove. These had been our weekly challenges:

Linger On...

Out of the Box!

Vows,  and I am now going to close this acronym by mythoughts about what love is.

Emptiness, escape, endless…

Emptiness. Here is the greatest definition of love, from the Book of Corinthians Chapter 13:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And as I pondered on it, love is so hard to carry out. We may be succeeding at some points, but we’re failing in the others. When I posted about lingering on, probably there were bloggers and readers out there who weren’t with me! Why linger, why stay, why keep on? For sometimes, staying in love is just not that easy, and I am meaning at love in its deepest ways.  That’s why, I tried to look at love, and sometimes, when it’s unattainable in its purest sense- it leaves emptiness, an emptiness within. Love is not easy.

Escape. Oh so many loved that post Out of the Box! (I thank you all!) And though we are caught in varied boxes of life- allowed ourselves to be inside those boxes where we put our heart into, where we found our definitions of love in- we share the same sentiment, the need to get some breather once in a while. And so again I thought about love, and concluded, that maybe one of the best ways to make love easier, and find its way deeper in one’s heart, is when it tells us- escape for a while… In escaping, you will miss it, and will allow you to see its purest meaning, and then until- we all succeed in realizing.

That love never fails… (I will ask you to read, a little slower this time like you are public reading a poetic prose; and for each word, feel what it tells you.)

Endless. For love, indeed, is endless. It may leave you empty, it may lead you to escape, but it stays.. it’s endless. That’s why love, too, must be taken as a vow. It is a lifetime commitment, even eternal. Whatever, wherever, whoever this incredible thing called love touches, he ought not to fail it, if he is to seek after true happiness, real freedom, his fulfillment.. he ought to embrace it, and know fully well what true love is.

And that true love, spoke to me this February, and told me of those three things: “emptiness, escape, endless”… Well, I’d be cheered to know about your story, too. Many things happened this month, and at the end of it all and on the final week of the love month- I invite you to feel love in all its forms, in its every detail, submit to all that it brings, trust it in every way. Perhaps, that’s the best way to experience it in life.

And remember, at the peak or the downiest points of loving, it simply never fails all the time.

Love and always,

Buena

Comments

1. Good post. It reminds me of one of my earliest posts in my blog referring to Corinthians II, that is entitled: “What is love? It’s the act of placing another person’s interests above your own.” http://qwestore.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/what-is-love/

• Buena Laoang says:

That is so nice California Kid! Means love does really speak to us at any given point in our life! will check your link! And this speaks a lot already- “What is love? It’s the act of placing another person’s interests above your own.” Thank you!

2. DSS Ramam says:

I read your post with interest. Love has so many dimensions and so many definitions. While it is difficult to capture all of it, one particular definition by Dr.Scot Peck, MD in his best selling book “The Road Less Traveled” made a good impression on me. He defines Love as
    “The will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth”
    (We must constantly push ourselves to greater and greater wisdom, greater and greater effectiveness. We must ride the effortful treadmill of self-improvement and spiritual growth.)
    What I understand from the above definition is that we must constantly strive for improvement and help those whom we love to achieve such growth. It is possible only when we are willing to extend ourselves, meaning we should make special effort. Generally people are not willing to put that effort for the sake of others because of laziness.
    Ordinary laziness is a passive failure to love. Ordinary laziness is non-love. Evil is anti love

• Buena Laoang says:

Hello DSS Ramam Sir!

Thank you very much for your interest and very reflective response to this post. I also like that book The Road Less Traveled by Dr. Scott Peck. And oh, your thoughtful note leads me now to share some more intimate details about this post :)

I completely agree to what you said- “We must constantly strive for improvement and help those whom we love to achieve such growth. It is possible only when we are willing to extend ourselves, meaning we should make special effort.” And I think, I will be even more passionate with that today!

The inspiration behind this post was specifically, within that chapter of my life when I made the decision to leave career for sometime and extend myself full-time to my husband and three little children. The road less traveled may be influencing me during this turning point because, we all know that such is seldom a choice among many working mothers.

Until soon, I felt this emptiness within, Sir, like I was extending myself too much and why has it come to that point, I couldn’t anymore see me! I was no longer happy! How can I give more of myself if I was in such chaos of the heart? Something’s wrong, I thought. And then- things had been allowed to me by God that led me away for a while, and then truly, at this event, love spoke to me so mysteriously.

I am happy to share these details to you and everyone else now, because it led me to some wonderful thoughts- love at times would actually seek to find the self, too, but it only truly finds its meaning in the giving of that self to others. You are indeed correct emphasizing that laziness is a passive failure to love. And so at those points when I’d been feeling dragged doing my duties- I prayed hard and strove to know the difference.

We cannot love if we do not constantly search how to best express it. I have found mine after that phase of emptiness, and lonesomeness (or thus I called escape). I came up with this conclusion, Love is only love shared with someone else- with my husband and children, and about us- with our families, and all the other people around us.

Sir, thank you! Your response made me appreciate even more every detail that has happened this month. :)

Truly yours and hope to hear more from you,
      Buena

• DSS Ramam says:

Dear Buena Laoang,

I am touched by your response. I am sure you will come out of the loneliness as you continue to work selflessly for the welfare of others.

Ramam

3. Reblogged this on The Daily Word, Food & The Vine and commented:
    Really good post

• Buena Laoang says:

Thank you so much Daily Word, Food & The Vine.. I pray that the post can remind and inspire your readers,too, as it did me through its writing. I pray to God to embrace us all with His love!

4. Buena Laoang says:

This Feb, we finish with the “e”, my very definition of love- emptiness, escape, endless.. I know we are all learning from this greatest thing called love! You may check it too at http://insidebuen.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/love-is/, to find some emphasized points. Thank you for dropping by at this post today, and one thing- love really hit me again with warm lessons this month! I wish the same with you! God bless everyone!

Yours here at AMS,
    Buena

5. LOVE this image and post…amazing!

6. emptiness brings awakening! So lovely!

• Buena Laoang says:

Yes indeed, incidentallearner..if I hadn’t been at that empty state, i wouldn’t have been fully “awakened” to the truth that true love- if indeed TRUE LOVE- is endless, and pure! The emptiness brought me to an “escape” which became a search well spent in finding one of the greatest meanings of my existence!
      I believe you have some stories of that kind yourself! Keep learning life!

• I do….this blog to me is about finding that emptiness and coming away from it with less than I what i brought to it. The more you expereince, the more you realize there is to experience in this place. Thank you for your thoughtgul response Buena.

7. Reblogged this on MyDestiny2011 and commented:
    Thank you, Just realised that I actually follow you in FB :)

8. Buena Laoang says:

Thank you to fellow bloggers who keep reading the Wednesday posts! My gratitude to you all and my best wishes and cheers to all that we have to share to many other people by giving up some of our time thru our writing..;) Kudos to all of you!