Out of the Box

By Buenaflor Laoang

There’d not been a very few moments I went confused about being home-bound with three kids- am I free? Or trapped? I have countless times longed to do my personal missions in life- to teach, and influence kindness, and raise money to aid the desperate and needy.

I felt trap inside my box- my home. I’ve had much of my children fighting with each other over a single ball (when in fact, they each has a ball but very often, they all like the SAME ball); the clutter around the house; the screaming that I hear from myself when things seem no longer controllable.

Ah-why did I let that for too long? Recently I tried going out of my home- oh, did you think, away from my children? No, no- just by the garden. While my son was playing at the sands corner with his blue car, I sat by the rocking chair and felt the cool winds. Our home is next to a rice field so it’s fresh air, cool and healthy. It relaxed my mind. And when my son offered me the cake he baked out of the sands and water, sprinkled with fancy colors from the sharpened crayons as toppings- oh, what sweetness life can offer.

I did not mind yet if it was mess  inside the house; I’ve been every day into the routine of mopping, dishwashing, cleaning up, what else. Tomorrow I can handle that again- I realized, I simply cannot get every thing in order every single day. I simply cannot stick to my routines forever.

Today I went out of my box, for a change. And the difference is extraordinary. Save that with a kiss and a hug from my son when he whispered, “Wow, mama visits my garage today! My blue car is happy! See, for a change, he has a new visitor!”

Go- out of your box!

Maybe it does not mean quitting or abandoning where you are in altogether, or traveling the miles. Maybe-it also lies just by your backyard.

This week’s challenge- out of your box! Take some break! Get some love! ;)

Editor’s Note: Buenaflor Laoang-Rosete contributes weekly on AMSDaily. You can visit her blog at Barefoot Life Reflections to read more about inspiring stories.

Comments

1. Go out of your box! Beautiful piece! You’ve got lovely kids! If their toys could be that appreciative, they must be much more themselves!

2. Cee Neuner says:

Wonderful!

3. Thank you, that was a beautiful messege that we tend to ignore. Somrtimes just a change of surroundings can make a huge difference. Today I will leap from my box!

4. Ebony Brown says:

Love it!

5. The Big Picture Calgary says:

It’s amazing the difference that getting outdoors can make for not only your kids but yourself. Yesterday as two squealing 2-year-olds ran around the living room the walls started to close in… then I bundled them up and out into the snow we went. Suddenly they quieted to hear the birds, they dug up treasure in the snow and visited the trees. And I looked up and saw the birds in the trees, the sun shining and the toddlers suddenly reverted to the curious bundles of energy I love instead of screaming little brats :)

• Buena Laoang says:

You are definitely right, Ma’am. Ah- what getting out can do! especially if it has something to do with tending children! ;) Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and adventure! I also like it that you reminded- our toddlers are our curious bundles of energy! Thank you!

6. living4bliss says:

My kids are 10 months apart and I can definitely relate.

A word of advice – schedule some away time each week, like you said, you can straighten the house later. Motherhood is a 24/7 job and everyone else gets time off, don’t feel guilty about taking some for yourself.

Thanks for the memories.

• Buena Laoang says:

Thank you living4bliss! I think I’m taking your suggestion! I had become too bound to the comforts of my indoors that I missed going out. I’d be sure to get some new outside adventures with my children in the following weeks! Looking forward to more mommy talks with you :)

7. Tina says:

You brought back memories of escaping and grabbing a few moments to myself when my kids were young and I was a stay at home mom. Thanks for the memories great post

8. very nice…

9. Buena Laoang says:

Thank you for appreciating! Sorry to miss the Wednesday with you..but I hope this post will make everyone feel better today – me included! :) My prayers!…~buena

10. good reminder. We all need to get out of our boxes! whether that is our home, our routine, our limited thinking. Sometimes a simple change of routine can help us to experience our life a little differently.

Get out more Buena!

11. Jan Simson says:

That’s cool. It’s always good to step out of the box once in a while. Sometimes I go on hikes in the forest, or mountains, or whatever lies out there, just to be away from everyday life. Cool post! Cheers.

12. aawwa says:

Beautiful little story – cheers Lorraine :-)

13. 1pastorswife says:

Lovely post. Thank you! Sarah from 1pastorswife.wordpress”com

14. Auranics says:

Just simply this, when you feel like this, just know that you are making a difference through this blog. See how many people follow you and comment. At the moment, this is all you can do due to family commitment but it really is enough. Just smile at the thought of the many who read your posts and feel your words. You are perfect in every single way. Everything is the way it should be at this moment in time.

15. AMSDaily says:

And another reblog – wow! Thank you very much!

16. buenalaoang says:

Wow :)

1. [...] Oh so many loved that post Out of the Box! (I thank you all!) And though we are caught in varied boxes of life- allowed ourselves to be [...]