Why are you stressed out: How to fix it?

Photo of Frederick Claflin

Don’t hide it. You know you can not. It shows in your eyes; in the way you move your head and smoothens out the muscles behind your neck. It is so easy to tell. I know you! Your smile does not justify what are inside your eyes. Can’t you not remember that your eyes are the windows to your souls? Can’t you tell that they are exactly what you are trying to hide? They are telling you something; they are telling me something; and that is:

Girl, you are stressed out!

And you need to relax.

The more that you try to fake it, the more that you will get deeper in the mud. Take it out of your shoulders. Give yourself some acceptance. Take the fact; do not bury yourself; Laugh it out and embrace everything that is happening!

Do you know why you are tensed?

Do you know why you feel that everything is not in alignment with the stars?

Do you why you are stressed out?

Because you are passionate about things to go your way; because you are extremely thoughtful about the things around you; because you want to have the perfect world around you! Because you love the people around you and you care for them deeply!

You have to remember that despite your desire to put things in their right place, there are things that happen beyond your control. And if they do, remember to walk away, take a deep breath, live for the moment, hold on to your passions and thoughts, accept the truth and tell yourself:

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Comments

1. phoenix143 says:

What a beautiful post to start my day. There is much wisdom in what you say.
    Have a blessed day.
    Judy

2. That is great. I am a firm believer in the power of asking questions to change your feelings, including stress. And the serenity prayer is wonderful. lots of shared power behind those few words
    Thanks for the post! :)

Also thanks for checking out my blog as well, much appreciation for that. It made my day brighter.

3. I like the content of your blog enough that i would love to share a link to from my own blog. Adding it now.
    May you have the ability to know what you truly desire and the passion to attain it.

Be happy

• AMSDaily says:

Andrew, I am so honored!!! Thank you very much for sharing this post on your blog! I love it when people share what we do here at AMSDaily. We are here to inspire, motivate and help each other as individuals.

4. Great reminder to use the serenity prayer. Yes there are things we can’t control. And I’ve recently seen the power of shifting from resisting what is to embracing it. I’ve been stewing about a recent incident that triggered hurt feelings. Then this morning, I asked to see it bigger to transform it.

I heard to say Yes to Life. I’m going to blog about this, and it’s based on the work of
    Alan Seales. Thanks.

5. Good post. We know these things, but not always easy to catch ourselves quickly so that no one sees or senses we are stressed. Sadly there is an additional cause of stress if you work in the typical corporate evenironment. I have been there, in a LARGE corporation and the attitude and message to employees is that you are never to show stress or even have a serious look on your face which could be taken as stress. You must always smile or at least look like you are smiling on the inside. One manager told me one day that I would be shocked to know how many employees were taking Prozac!!!!!!!!!! That was shocking to me.

• AMSDaily says:

Ann – you understand how it feels to be “stressed out” and how it may have a huge impact in our lives, especially our health! You are right there are a lot of people who take drugs to cure “stress” however, there is always an alternative solution which is: changing the mindset and accepting things we can not change :-) thank you for saying that it is not always easy to catch ourselves quickly. You present practicality, Ann!

• Many of those at the company who took prozac was not because they wanted to, but because they would get negative reviews if they showed any stress at all, even though there were NO issues with their work!!!
        I learned that stopping for a couple minutes and asking God for his peace and guidance, completely turned me around into that peace and His strength.

6. notestowomen says:

Great post! So many of us get stressed out over things we can’t control or we tend to be more reactive to stress situations rather than being proactive. I am guilty of that. I admire people who don’t allow stress to get the better of them. They are serene and at peace even while things are chaotic around them. Some of us handle stress well and some of us don’t.

I remember reading somewhere that stressed spelled backwards is desserts. We need to step back, take a deep breath and purpose in our hearts not to let stress control us. For many of us, faith is what keeps us in check. When we feel overwhelmed by the stresses in life, we turn to the One who is bigger than anything situation or circumstance.

Thanks for the post and for reminding that there are things that we can’t control and that’s ok. I believe in letting go and letting God…

• AMSDaily says:

Notesforwomen – yes I always like the notion that stressed is desserts spelled backwards! My older sister used to tell me that she never heard the word “stressed out” when she was in the Philippines but when she lived and worked in the United States, she began to understand what it is all about.

7. Many thanks to you for this. It was needed today. Bright blessings to you!

• AMSDaily says:

Octavia’s Vintage – I have mentioned to some of the comments here that I wrote this particular post as a tribute to all my coworkers who seem to look stressed out lately. I care for them and the work that we do and I understand how each of us are so passionate with our work, that sometime when we do not get to where we want to go, we feel stressed out – however, with the serenity prayer it is always refreshing to note that there is a “solution” to this, which is outlined in the post! Thank you very much!

8. abichica says:

OMG!!! I have been feeling like this, so stressed for so very long.. wooww!! This is such a perfect post.. i really needed it.. :-)

• AMSDaily says:

Abichica – I am glad this post has unpacked the answers for you! Whenever that feeling strikes, remember the serenity prayer – and how passionate you are with your work!

9. This post is wonderful. Thank you for the reminders. It made my day.

• AMSDaily says:

Kelly Chau – I am glad this post made your day! It makes me smile when people from all over the world gets to read a post from AMSDaily and has an impact on their day. That is when I think the purpose of AMSDaily is fulfilled. Thank you very much!

10. Miro says:

Letting go of desires is such an important trait. It’s in not getting what we want that frustrations arise. Or getting what we don’t want. Or even getting what we want…because it doesn’t last forever.
    Peace & grace,
    ~Miro

11. torivictoria says:

Thanks a lot I really needed that, you are so right!

12. Thank you for sharing your calm and how to walk away from stress. I had a seriously bad hour at work today and could have done with a spot of deep breathing and remembering that prayer which sometimes slips my mind as I allow events to take over me and become frustrated even angry. :-)

13. stickyquotes says:

I love the post keep up the great work.

14. Thanks for your wise words (-: That ‘wisdom to know the difference’ can be a tricky one! How do you know the difference?
    Many blessings,
    Elisa

15. I Love this! My husband frequently tells me I need to relax. This confirmed everything I have been told to do :)

16. We often “stress” for no good reason. Relaxing helps however there is a lot more to it…..knowing the ‘reasons’ is part of the recovery from stress. Thankyou.

• AMSDaily says:

David, you are right! Being good to yourself is definitely important and knowing the reasons why we become stressed out is essential. Thanks for stopping by!

17. Gian Ramos says:

This is just what I need. Thank you for this reminder. :)

18. Ha..It just came at the right time. Yes, there are things beyond my control, and I need to deepen my surrender to the universe.

Thanks for this lovely reminder Alpha!
    God Bless You!

19. What an awesome reminder to stay focused on what truly matters in life! Great content!

20. Liz says:

I’m giving you an award…The Versatile Blogger award! You can find my post here: http://catsandchocolate.wordpress.com/2012/01/27/the-versatile-blogger-award/ :)

• AMSDaily says:

Liz, thank you very much for the award!!!! I am deeply humbled by all of these awards lately. Thank you for thinking of me and the work that we do here at AMSDaily.

21. Seen this serenity prayer in my parents’ room when I was a kid. A good reminder that after doing everything under your control and giving your best at it, all you can do in the end is leave everything else to God and hope that everything will fall on their proper place sooner or later.

• AMSDaily says:

Travellairbyaprilfleur, the serenity prayer is so powerful! I remember watching the news when the airplane crashed on the Hudson river a few years back and the first thing that came to my mind was this prayer and how the pilot must have been thinking about this as well.

22. I felt like you were speaking right to me! And the serenity prayer? Has totally saved my sanity more than a hundred times!!

• AMSDaily says:

Mountainmissy, when I wrote this I was really thinking of all my coworkers who seem to look stressed out. If it did sound like I was talking to you, I am glad that I was. I love the serenity prayer as well! Thanks for the comment.

23. subairo97 says:
  24. fiftylies says:

This is exactly what I need right now. Thank you.

25. "NowWhat?" says:

“NOW WHAT?” uses the Serenity prayer like a mathematical equation:
    God grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change. (This is where you put your problem into the equation). Can you accept the things you cannot change? The courage to change the things I can. (Have you tried to change the things you can)?
    And the wisdom to know the difference! (The wisdom is the key).
    If you know you can’t change something, and you use all your time on a down hill battle, what do you gain? Life is not always a picnic, we just always pick ourselves up off the floor and never ever give up! “NOW WHAT?”

• AMSDaily says:

“Now What?” I love your blog as well! It gives us the chance to ask “now what”? and your comment really gives me some more questioning into this area. “Now What” shall I do? :-) good way to keep me thinking. I appreciate it!

26. Deb Prewitt says:

Beautiful. I’m glad you stopped by my blog so I could find you. I’ll be back again.

27. AlohaKarina says:

(raising my hand) yep this is me. Excellent post. And I LOVE the photograph–I subscribe to that photo blog as well. Gorgeous!

28. living4bliss says:

Stress is poison.

29. Beautiful! I was expecting to hear, “Because you’re doing too much.” Instead I hear “Because you’re passionate, and you care.” That alone makes me feel better. And less stressed out!

30. Loved it…Beautiful explanation!! :)

31. AMSDaily says:

Thank you very much for sharing this line on your blog! It is well appreciated!

1. [...] I have learned the art of “letting go”. A line from the serenity prayer states “grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.” Realizing certain experiences are outside of our control can be freeing. Circumstances in our lives [...]

2. [...] to control. I have learned the art of “letting go”. A line from the serenity prayer states “grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.” Realizing certain experiences are outside of our control can be freeing. Circumstances in our [...]