How to Create Balance and Focus

By Liz Scala

As I was driving home through the city today I was distracted by all of the commotion outside of my car.  Tractor trailers were banging and clanging quickly past me.  On the sidewalk, construction workers were shouting to one another, finishing up the day’s work.  Loud noise, such as radios and car horns, was invading my quiet space.  My thoughts were scattered and I was having a hard time concentrating on one thing at a time.  My mind was racing from topic to topic.  Then I realized; it all reminded me of a busy day on my nursing unit!

I know we have all had experiences like these; getting interrupted while making dinner, being called to the telephone when helping a child with homework, or having your boss ask for your assistance as you are trying to finalize a large project.  This is the nature of our busy lives.  We need to be in a million different places all at once.  We care for many people at the same time.  We have so much to get done each day and so much responsibility on our shoulders.  It can be a distracting to be in many roles with multiple facets and tasks.  And it can get a bit chaotic; and quite exhausting at times!

One way to decrease distraction during your day to day routine is through using positive affirmations.  Stating positive declarations can create greater focus, increased concentration and a sense of balance.  Taking time out each day to sit quietly, breathe, and state mantras either to yourself or aloud can have a deep impact on your happiness, peace of mind, and health.  When you do this you quiet the mind.  You create a space that is free from disruption.  And then, with practice, you can call upon this state of mind at any point during a busy shift.

Here is what you do.  Make time each day, either in the morning or the evening, to quietly state each affirmation.  Reflect on what it means to you.  You can also begin to add affirmations of your own as you become comfortable with the process.  Take a slow and deep breath in and out through your nose between each of the affirmations.  Become aware how you feel and start to notice any shifts in energy, mood, or stress levels.  Also, observe how you relate to others; your patients, your family, your friends, or your colleagues.  Here are some statements I use that can help you get started:

•              I am exactly where I need to be as my journey in life reveals itself to me.

•              I honor my mind, body, and soul and treat each aspect of my being with respect.

•              I am a confident, knowledgeable, and successful role model as I inspire others to be the same.

•              I know great joy and peace and therefore have wonderful energy.

•              My speech is a form of love.

•              I am limitless in my capacity for joy, healing, and happiness.

•              I will achieve perfect balance and be successful in all that I take on.

Realizing that you are worth it and taking the time to sit quietly with your own positive thoughts will greatly affect your life on many levels.  You will create a way to cope with distraction during your busy days.  You will generate a calmer presence through slowing down and breathing with yourself.  Knowing that you are a wholesome force of good that deserves peace and joy in your life will create a space of being able to receive for yourself.  You deserve great happiness, peace, and love in your life.  Make room for yourself!

Editor’s Note: Liza Scala will be contributing twice a month on AMSDaily about Health and Wellness. You can visit her blog at Living Sublime Wellness to read more on these topics.

Comments

1. wartica says:

Perfect photo; it’s amazing what you can find out there in the world around us. There are so many amazing things, on this planet, we just have to open up to it.Great post and I look forward to sharing more with you:))

2. boomer98053 says:

Your latest entry certainly speaks to me, maybe in an unexpected way. When I think of noise, such as a siren sounding, it can be equated to the sound of a society taking care of its citizens. Sometimes a siren is a literal sound event, but sometimes it’s when we receive a wake up call, or have a “light bulb moment” and realize that someone, or many someones, need our help. Our response to that siren, or lack thereof, impacts everyone around us – including ourselves. In my Baby Boomer life, my hope is that I’m actively aware of that siren: listening, keeping my eyes open, and responding in the best way possible to positively affect those around me. Thank you for your peaceful thoughts today. Boomer98053 at http://www.babyboomersandmore.com.

3. Chris Bartley says:

Awesome imagery and very practical..great post.

4. Even reading this calmed me down and made me aware of the importance of deep breathing and how we can talk ourselves into a positive state, but i specially loved how you say that with practice we can recall this state at any moment of the day and feel it’s wonderful effect! thank you for a wonderful read

5. klrs09 says:

I practice what I call a daily thankfulness ritual — usually I do this when I start my drive to work. It helps me get ready to face what is usually a hectic day and it keeps me calm while driving. I like the idea of stating these positives about oneself, I’m going to have to try adding a couple to my routine. Thanks for an interesting post.

6. What a wonderful post! I have been practicing positive affirmations over the past couple of years and it’s made such a difference in my life. One affirmation I started off with, before creating my own, was “I love and approve of myself exactly as I am.” I believe I got that from Louise Hay in her book “You Can Heal Your Life,” and it was a great help in replacing – or at least quieting – the negative self-talk in my head.

Oh, and for anyone wondering how to find a few quiet moments for affirmations – I often do this in the shower or when I’m driving alone. It may not be ideal, but with a lot of distractions at home, I’ll take quiet when I can get it!

• AMSDaily says:

That is such a great strategy! I agree that practicing affirmations is very helpful in our lives. If you have any other ways to do affirmation,s please feel free to share. Thanks!

• Christine- I too do my affirmations during my day… when things get hectic, or just when I have quiet time. I like to restate and restate so that they become a part of me! I have to agree with saying them in the shower… I also state them when I am out walking my dogs!!

• Restating has been so helpful for me as well! Now when a negative thought pops up, immediately a positive affirmation comes to mind to replace it. It’s very reassuring and calming. And I find positive affirmations so empowering… they’ve helped me believe in myself more deeply.

I look forward to visiting livingsublimewellness shortly!

7. westwood says:

Or we could redesign cities so we don’t drive our cars and have all that commotion and stop that before we get started.

I recently redesigned my life so that I drive once every two weeks or less and my happiness has skyrocketed.

8. A great reminder to find daily inner peace to carry on as a stronger self! U are a noble bearer of light in this world! Great post!

The Eye

9. Nice! I like your insight.
    -Boj | Blogging from a shared house

10. kalyrical says:

So glad I found this blog! It’s definitely going to be a pick-me-up for when I’m feeling blue :)

11. Paul says:

Making affirmations help us regain lost footholds in todays moving cyberculture.Thank you my friend for your post…
    (Paul)

12. Reblogged this on adultcollegestudents and commented:
    Something to live by. Everyone should read.

13. Thank you to all of the readers, comments, and likes on this post. Check out my blog at http://www.livingsublimewellness.wordpress.com to read more of my articles and stories! I love conversation, comments, feedback, and questions… it keeps me and you learning and growing together!! Have a great day :)

14. roxie says:

wonderful post! excellent advice: make room for yourself! one more mantra, here I come world! :)

15. What a great post! Meditation and positive affirmations have changed my life. I have gone from a wheelchair bound, chronically ill, depressed, anxious, morbidly obese person with no self-esteem to a vibrant, energetic, joyous, peaceful, healthy, much thinner person in 1 year. The outward reflected the inward. I love your affirmations and am giving you notice I am borrowing a couple. My favorite every morning affirmation these days: Today is going to be the best day of my life!

16. Thank you for this post Liza. I feel that repeating affirmations in the morning produces much better results than evening time because the whole world has just waken up, the sun is shining and the energy is on the rise.

Thanks!
    Looking forward for more beautiful posts from you!

17. Reblogged this on Love of Poetry Words and Posts.

18. AMSDaily says:

Thank you Liz for writing this post! We can not wait until your next contribution!