God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons in Life
Photo of Michaela Cruz- Ungos
I agree you’ve probably read many lists of ___nth lessons in life as I have myself! But what I am going to share with you today is a list which I think is extraordinarily real; something that is not really taught at school and something that addresses all aspects of our lives including spirituality (faith to many), finances (money to many), family and relationships, health (specially cancer), career, happiness and passion.
The author of this list is Regina Brett - a Cleveland writer/author/blogger who started writing down her list of 45 lessons life taught her when she was forty-five. However, she added more to it until it now becomes 50. When it first circulated around the web – some people were re-branding this article as “Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old”. In fact, there were over 400 entries on google search that she was a good-looking 90 years old! The truth is, she is only in her fifties and is passionate about many things including her family!
When I first read the list with the title “written by a 90-year old women” I was intrigued and excited to read. I immediately associated this list with proper wisdom and made me more fascinated with the writer’s thoughts and life’s reflections! As I read each list, I understand that these are universal “food for thought” – and one way or the other, whether we live in China, the United States, Philippines, Somalia or Haiti – we need something to hold on to.
It is also nice to know that – God never blinks!
Here is the list:
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t worry; God never blinks.
16. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying.
17. You can get through anything if you stay put in today.
18. A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write.
19. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over-prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: “In five years, will this matter?”
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time some time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
35. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
36. Growing old beats the alternative – dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.
38. Read the Psalms. They cover every human emotion.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.
41. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
42. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
43. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
44. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
45. The best is yet to come.
46. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
47. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
48. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
50. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.