God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons in Life

By  Alpha Miguel-Sanford

I agree you’ve probably read many lists of ___nth lessons in life as I have myself! But what I am going to share with you today is a list which I think is extraordinarily real; something that is not really taught at school and something that addresses all aspects of our lives including spirituality (faith to many), finances (money to many), family and relationships, health (specially cancer), career, happiness and passion.

The author of this list is Regina Brett - a Cleveland writer/author/blogger who started writing down her list of 45 lessons life taught her when she was forty-five. However, she added more to it until it now becomes 50. When it first circulated around the web – some people were re-branding this article as  “Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old”. In fact, there were over 400 entries on google search that she was a good-looking 90 years old! The truth is, she is only in her fifties and is passionate about many things including her family!

When I first read the list with the title “written by a 90-year old women” I was intrigued and excited to read. I immediately associated this list with proper wisdom and made me more fascinated with the writer’s thoughts and life’s reflections! As I read each list, I understand that these are universal “food for thought” – and one way or the other, whether we live in China, the United States, Philippines, Somalia or Haiti – we need something to hold on to.

It is also nice to know that – God never blinks!

Here is the list:

1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.

2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.

3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

4. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.

5. Pay off your credit cards every month.

6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.

8. It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.

9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.

10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.

12. It’s OK to let your children see you cry.

13. Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.

15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t worry; God never blinks.

16. Life is too short for long pity parties. Get busy living, or get busy dying.

17. You can get through anything if you stay put in today.

18. A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write.

19. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.

21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

22. Over-prepare, then go with the flow.

23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.

24. The most important sex organ is the brain.

25. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: “In five years, will this matter?”

27. Always choose life.

28. Forgive everyone everything.

29. What other people think of you is none of your business.

30. Time heals almost everything. Give time some time.

31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

32. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.

33. Believe in miracles.

34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.

35. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.

36. Growing old beats the alternative – dying young.

37. Your children get only one childhood. Make it memorable.

38. Read the Psalms. They cover every human emotion.

39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.

40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.

41. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

42. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.

43. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.

44. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

45. The best is yet to come.

46. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.

47. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.

48. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

49. Yield.

50. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.

And if you are wondering how does Regina Brett look like, here she is:

Comments

1. Thank you for the list. I enjoyed reading it. Jay

2. Bravo … well done!!!
    Live life … its good 4ya!!

3. This is great! I’m originally from Cleveland, where Regina writes for the Plain Dealer. I’ve always been a big fan and she is one of the few columnists I can usually agree with. Thanks for posting and I will be sharing it!

• AMSdaily says:

Lbwebb coach, first I also work for individuals with disabilities so for that, I admire you! Yes, I love reading Regina Brett’s blog as well. She incorporates every part of our lives in her writings.

4. wendemachete says:

I agree that this list is fantastic. Such simplicity, yet perfectly to the core of life lessons.

5. Great post! Feel free to follow my brand new blog page at http://tigergroves.wordpress.com Hope to see you on my list soon and I’ll be looking for new and interesting posts from you in the future. Thanks!

• AMSdaily says:

Hi Heather, I checked out your blog and it is a good read! Keep it up and feel free to come here anytime for some inspiration!

6. desert heels says:

When I first read about her,the day I turned 30, I made # 42 my mantra.
    I’ve never been so happy since. Thanks for posting this list:)

• AMSdaily says:

Desert heels, you are welcome! I love doing #42 as well. In fact, I have been reading and exploring minimalism and its philosophy more and more.

7. I needed to read this list. Definitely helped put parts of life in a better perspective. Great list!

• AMSdaily says:

Donald, thank you! I am glad this list has helped you! When I hear people being inspired, I know that is the best reward of keeping the inspiration alive for AMSDaily. Thank you!

8. TaniBK says:

# 42 is really resonating with me right now. Thank you! <3

9. Dicky says:

A wonderful post. Thank you for visiting my blog.

10. katydailey says:

What a wonderful list of things to remember. We should all be so lucky as to actually learn some of these things before it’s too late. But maybe it’s not about luck. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed getting to read the list again. :)

11. "M" is for Marriage and Motherhood... And for Me says:

great post!

12. Ebony Brown says:

Ahhhh, just love this post! I needed to see it in this very moment.

13. Ekkehart says:

Thanks

14. tksoni says:

Wonderful.

15. tksoni says:

i want to give link in my blog.

16. I must say I agree with most of that is been said in the list. If you don’t take a chance in every life’s opportunity you will end up your life in mysery.

17. Akriti Bahal says:

Thanks for liking my post on http://akriti91.wordpress.com. :)

I really loved your post. Thanks for sharing such helpful and wonderful lesson for life. :)

18. altruistico says:

AMS you have brought me, through this article, a new perspective on how to live this life. You have done well posting this. It has made me laugh, at myself for not seeing them myself; it inspired me to live in todayand make it a worthy day to live.

I would like your permission, and Ms. Bretts’, in republishing this article on my own blog. I believe it may well provide my friends and followers the healing they too may well need and want
    Thank you ever so much for this post..

• AMSDaily says:

Michael, you have my permission. Spread these words of inspiration and let everybody soak in the thoughts of living happily and better! Just let me know when it is posted!

• altruistico says:

Thank you for permission to post. I will be sure and do all things in publishing it. I’ll help get the word out, MSD. it is greatly appreciated.

I willl let you know when published. Thank you ever-so-much.

God bless!
        Michael

• altruistico says:

AMS,
        I have posted to my blog “God Never Blinks.” Once again I thank you for allowing me to do so. I trust i have given proper and appropriate credits to the post. Please review and if there are any changes necessary, please, do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks again;
        Michael

19. Pangeline says:

Thank you for posting this. I also received this email from a friend and I thought it was great. Trust a 90 year old to give us the wisdom of her years. You did your research and found the real younger Regina Brett. This list is for everyone, especially me.

20. AMSDaily says:

Thanks for sharing this on your blog!